The new Catalonian High Volume Online Haemodiafiltration (OL-HDF) study shows that High Volume OL-HDF therapy improves patients’ survival rate. With a 30% reduction of all-cause mortality and 33% lower risk of cardiovascular mortality patients should benefit from High Volume Online HDF.
The ESHOL study (Estudio de Supervivencia de Hemodiafiltracion On-Line; On-Line Haemodiafiltration Survival Study) recently published in JASN (Journal of the American Society of Nephrology)1 is a prospective, randomized, clinical trial on more than 900 patients with renal failure from 27 different Catalan centers. The 3 year follow-up study has demonstrated that high-efficiency postdilution OL-HDF reduces all-cause mortality compared with conventional haemodialysis in the chronic prevalent population.
Here are the most interesting results:
- 30% reduction of all-cause mortality
- 33% lower risk of cardiovascular mortality
- 28% reduction of intradialytic hypotensive episodes
- 22% lower all-cause hospitalisation.
The authors concluded that based on these results OL-HDF may become the first-line option in haemodialysis patients.
In Catalonia the ESHOL study outcome already resulted in a call for action: after the study was published, the Catalan Health Ministry is now aiming to make OL-HDF treatment the first recourse for all patients needing dialysis. They are convinced that the study brings the scientific evidence needed to generalise the treatment2.
For more information & to view the full ESHOL publication please follow the link: www.highvolumehdf.com/start.html
- Maduell F, Moreso F, Pons M: High-Efficiency Postdilution Online Hemodiafiltration Reduces All-Cause Mortality in Hemodialysis Patients. J Am Soc Nephrol 24, 2013
- Catalan News Agency (CAN, online publication 15.02.2013): “A Catalan study shows that a world-pioneering dialysis technique reduces patient mortality by 30%"
For more information please click here.